The Woodlands and Wetlands Trust (Trust) was established to support development of Mulligans Flat Woodland Sanctuary and Jerrabomberra Wetlands as very special places.
The Trust is a joint initiative of the ACT Government, the Canberra community, our partners and sponsors. It enacts a new model for public land management, by using the expertise in the ACT Government and combining it with the knowledge, skills, enthusiasm and experiences within the community.
The Trust wants to harness the skills and experiences of the local community because it recognises the passion and commitment that the community already has for these special places.
The Trust will engage with the scientific community in the pursuit of evidence-based management to seek corporate and community assistance, both financial and in-kind. These will support new and bold initiatives that will build on baseline land management activities delivered by the ACT Parks and Conservation Service.
The formal objects of the Woodlands and Wetlands Trust are:
- managing, recovering, conserving, and enhancing the natural environment within the Mulligans Flat Woodland Sanctuary and Jerrabomberra Wetlands Nature Reserve
- research, education, recreation, and tourism activities
- business and community engagement and support for woodland and wetland conservation and recovery
- participation by community groups and citizens and;
- management of activities so that the Sanctuary and Wetlands can support diversity of natural flora, fauna, and ecosystems, and enhance ecological processes.